Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bugs, bugs and more bites.

Ten mosquito bites on my arms and legs. One big, nasty spider bite on my right arm. A total of ten unidentified bites on my pinky and ring finger on both hands, yes, both hands which made typing near impossible. All of these undeserved bites have come from our journey across Lake Malawi on an old converted-to-diesel steam ship called the MV Ilala which took us from Nkhata Bay to Monkey Bay.

The boat itself was dreadful but Heath will tell you otherwise. We bought a "first class" ticket which meant that we had the privelege of sleeping on the top deck under the only covered section, the bar. After I had the bartender turn the music off, around midnight, we were hit with sideways rain which soaked us and everything we had and hurried to the second deck which was crowded with other passengers leaving only a small section for standing the rest of the night. No sleep for me.

The second day (two nights on the boat) I was sick from smelling the diesel fuel and the rotten fish smell from the local fish which they transport from port to port to sell at the markets. All of this and the fight with mosquitos made me wish for home more than ever.

We did finally dock in Monkey bay and found a cozy little oasis to set up camp. It was truely a perfect spot minus electricity. The following day I was lounging around on the shore when a pack of monkey's and a huge baboon snuck down to steal the last remaining banana a local was chewing on and just happened to leave alone for a minute. They were adorable. The baboon took off and the monkey's stayed behind taunting me from the trees. They would run to the end of a branch and pounce up and down to get my attention. They seemed only interested in me because when Heath came up they took off. Apparently, they don't like boys. One point for me, I guess.

So, here we are in the capital of Malawi, Lilongwe, at another campsite over-run with Expats and their screaming children. It really feels like we are camping in someone's backyard. Doesn't really fit in to our "African" experience but at least it's cheap and only one night.

Tomorrow we are off again to hop on another bus to the border of Zambia and then another one to the capital. Eventually we will make it to Victoria Falls.  Bring on another long bus ride. As for now, this one dollar 200ml of brandy we bought at the store mixed with pineapple fanta in cups made from a jury-rigged plastic bottle will do the trick. Cheers!



 


1 comment:

  1. The pictures are amazing connie (and Heath)!!
    I especially love the bottom photo. Oh, my Gosh how beautiful!!! I miss you and hope you both are well.
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete