Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Track 19

I feel it. Independence is coming.

As I walk, Indian visa in hand, through the Frankfurt main train station to track number 19 I feel it. It took two exhausting weeks to get this expensive visa, an obstacle I didn't think I would tackle. Note to self: make sure when filling out visa applications to omit any affiliation with a newspaper, where I've worked for the past three years.

It won't be this difficult for any other visa I apply for on this trip as I'll soon be unemployed (one week and counting). Apparently, most countries would rather have the unemployed visit over the press. On top of that, the department of "newspaper advertising", which I work in, didn't really translate.

Here I am walking through the train station meeting Heath at track number 19 when that realization kicks in.  I watch all the vacant faces of people walk past and a feeling of calm takes over. A calm that is new and foreign. The stress of organizing and planning is only days away from being gone and the realization of independence has just started and is getting stronger.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Connie,
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.
    I know you'll have a blast.
    Take care and stay save-I'll send you all my best wishes and thousand hugs from Deutschland <3

    M.

    P.S. Maybe one day you'll help me put together all my furniture ;)

    ReplyDelete